from MyFitnessPal.com…use their trackers to help get you started today!
“Overhauling your diet and fitness routines can certainly have a huge impact on your health. But making sweeping changes can also be a shock to the system, making them hard to keep up. In fact, studies show people are more successful when they build on small changes over time. On Facebook and Twitter, we asked you, “What’s one small change you’ve made since starting MyFitnessPal that’s made a big difference?” We sorted through hundreds of answers to compile this list of 30 small, but smart, changes that can make a big difference to your health.
Small Food Changes
1. “Look up food before I put it in my mouth.” —Pauline W. K.
2. “If I’m going to have a snack, the correct portion goes in a bowl or on a plate, and the rest gets put back wherever it goes. Much better than mindlessly eating straight from the container.” —Cara E. M.
3. “No more McDonalds cheese burgers!” —Virginia W.
4. “I cut my portions in half.” —Marie H.
5. “I’ve become a food snob. If I am using calories for it, it better be worth it.” —Stephanie W.
6. “Cut out sugar and started walking. Lost 90 some pounds and no longer have to take medicine for diabetes. And I quit smoking too!” —Patti S.
7. “No more fast food!” Stacey C. M.
8. “I no longer drink any calories.” —Diana S.
9. “Shopping at the local meat market for my meat, buying fresh produce, and staying away from stores with food that comes in a box.” —Tim J.
10. “Cooking at home instead of eating out has helped my weight and my wallet.” —Abbie B.
11. “I stopped snacking when I’m bored.” —Lauren G.
12. “Trying new, healthy foods. Before getting healthy I wouldn’t have even tried avocado or spaghetti squash!” —Crystal F.
13. “Giving up mayo in my sandwiches!” —Andrea F.
14. “Making fruits, greens, veggies, seeds and nuts a major part of my diet by using my blender one to two times per day.” —Sharon K.
15. “Always looking at labels now to see what is in my ‘healthy’ food.” —Bobbie W.
16. “Eating breakfast! Keeps me full and prevents me from reaching for the sugar.” —@tara_smiles
17. “Actually incorporating vegetables into my diet. Previously French fries were considered a vegetable—no more. 145 pounds lost.” —@Mnemonic66
18. “Definitely portion control and making online friends for support.” —@Cinbeth4
19. “I’m drinking more water and tracking it!” —@teamfitmommy
Small Fitness Changes
20. “Taking the stairs up to my work office instead of using the lift. Four flights, four times a day! Used to be absolutely painful, but I can run up them now!” —Ann S.
21. “Exercise.” —Jo J.
22. “Swimming six times a week! Feel absolutely better!” —Cennet E.
23. “I’ve started hiking a lot.” —Shanah Z.
24. “I park in the spot furthest from the door everywhere I go. At first I couldn’t make it, now I can make it and then some!” —Emily E.
Small Habit Changes
25. “Everything I eat gets logged BEFORE I eat it.” —Kari S. S.
26. “Logging 310 days straight helped me reach my goal weight, and I’m still logging so I don’t gain it back!” —Beverly O. S.
Small Mindset Changes
27. “Learning to love myself. Not beating myself up when I make a mistake! Trying to think positive!” —Kylie D.
28. “Stopped thinking this was a diet—this is about adjusting eating habits to make myself healthier.” —Sarah S.
29. “I threw out my scale.” —Charlie C.
30. “Moderation.” —Tami S. S.
Did we miss any “little” big ones? What’s a small health change that’s made a big difference for you?”